InstallMate uses this variable to set the HTTP User-Agent string when it downloads components during installation (if indeed any components must be downloaded). You can use this User-Agent string for example to track your product downloads (by including your product name or code in the string).
User-Agent string format
By convention, the HTTP User-Agent string that a client sends to an HTTP server identifies the client program and version. In many practical cases, the string contains more or less detailed information not only about the client program, but also about the operating system it's running on. For that reason, a typical User-Agent string might look like:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)
The TsuUserAgent variable is used to specify the User-Agent string that the InstallMate installer will use if it needs to download components during installation. For ease of configuration, the TsuUserAgent variable may contain zero or more of the following:
- Literal text, for example Mozilla/5.0
- Symbolic references, for example "<ProductName> <ProductVersion>"
- Replaceable field placeholders starting with %, for example %W
The replaceable field placeholders will be expanded when the User-Agent string is used and include the following:
|%%||Single '%' character|
|%@||User-Agent string used by Internet Explorer on the target system|
|%B||Windows build number, for example 9860|
|%D||Current date as YYYYMMDD, for example 20141023|
|%E||Trident engine version number as major.minor, for example 7.0|
|%I||Internet Explorer version number as major.minor, for example 11.0|
|%M||Mozilla version number as major.minor, matches the pseudo-Mozilla version that IE would have returned; for example 5.0|
|%P||Process identifier as decimal number, for example 384|
|%R||Pseudo-random decimal number 0-65535, for example 34270|
|%T||Current time as HHMMSS, for example 130425|
|%V||Pseudo-random version number as major.minor, for example 6363.37629|
|%W||Windows version number as major.minor, for example 6.1|
- Mozilla/%M (compatible; MSIE %I; Windows NT %W)
- This is the default (as of InstallMate 9.20) User-Agent string for InstallMate. It will expand to something like Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 11.0; Windows NT 6.1), which resembles (but is not identical to) the User-Agent string that Internet Explorer would return on a Windows 7 system. This User-Agent string is a reasonable compromise between compatibility, privacy, and a limited form of web logging.
- Mozilla/%M (compatible; MSIE %I; Windows NT %W; "<ProductName> <ProductVersion>")
- This is an alternative to the above. It adds product information to allow tracking of individual product downloads. Note that the product name and version are enclosed in "quotes"; this is recommended for compatibility with web log analysis tools.